7 Hidden Dangers For Your Health in Your Own Home

5. Other common items

There are many other small things in the house which should be kept away from kids, as they can cause very serious problems if they swallow them. The most common products ingested by children are oven and toilet bowl cleaners, drain, bleach, furniture polish, detergents and rust remover.

Protective measures
• The main rule, keep them high, not low; detergents and cleaning stuff are normally kept under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, but it is better to store them on high shelves and keep them out of reach of kids. If you have no high shelves, you should store cleaning items with baby-proof locks and make sure all tops are properly closed. Place a danger mark on all hazardous products (you can draw your own or use a sticker) and show them to your kids, teach them to steer clear and be cautious when they see it.

• After taking products out for cleaning purposes make sure they are out of your child’s reach and securely closed.

7. Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas can be very dangerous as it is toxic and can cause fatal results. And you may not even realize that it can be in your home! As a rule, the hazard comes from fuel-burning appliances like stoves, furnaces, fireplaces, water heaters and space heaters, clothes dryers as well as automobile exhaust from attached garages. If it is below some level, it may cause headaches, disorientation, dizziness, nausea and fatigue, but if it is of medium level, it may lead to impaired vision and coordination, vomiting, confusion, headaches, dizziness, nausea, unconsciousness and at very high concentrations, it may cause death.

Protective measures
• There are special carbon monoxide detectors which you can buy for your home.
• Fuel burning appliances shall be installed by a certified mechanic and should be inspected annually.
• For gas stoves, an exhaust fan shall always be kept vented to the outside.
• Before using the fireplace, always check if the flue is open and if your space heater is vented.
• Never allow your car idle in the garage.

Pages: 1 2